August 15, 2012

Walk for Solar - Port Augusta to Adelaide, September 16 - 30

As soon as I heard about the Walk for Solar I knew I wanted to go, even though I already had plans for some of that time and I knew I'd need some training walks in order to manage the 300 km from Port Augusta to Adelaide.

The Walk for Solar aims to win state and federal support for building a solar thermal plant to replace the old coal-fired plant at Port Augusta. Port Augusta is one of the solar locations identified in BZE's stationary energy plan (for converting Australia to 100% renewable energy), and for a number of reasons has always struck me as being the best place to start - even more so now that the Playford B power plant there is slated to close, and the Port Augusta council and residents are keen to replace it with solar. Until it is implemented, the BZE plan is "just" a plan (albeit an exciting one). Now we have a good chance to start making that plan a reality!

What's not to like? An important campaign, walking through lovely countryside in springtime, meeting lots of people who care about climate, and getting more physically fit than I usually am! If you'd like to join in too, you can find the walk details on the Repower Port Augusta website.

Initially this was just something I personally wanted to do, so I started doing training walks and registered to take part in the walk. I then suddenly thought, why not participate as a representative of the One Person Can project? So now I'm wearing two hats.

I am using One Person Can resources to help promote the Walk for Solar, and have set up dedicated result graphs to document what Walk for Solar supporters are doing towards a safe climate in the other 50 weeks of the year. I'm asking walkers, sponsors and supporters, and people attending the associated rallies to take the OPC survey and to select "2012 Walk for Solar" when they do so that their actions will appear in the Walk for Solar result graphs. I'm hoping for some huge numbers in those graphs so I can send them off to government decision-makers to show just how serious all these people are about tackling climate change.

You can see the results so far at http://www.onepersoncan.org/graphNat1.aspx?ft=grp.

No comments:

Post a Comment